LHiNC Zoning & Housing Committee
The Zoning & Housing Committee is comprised of LHiNC board and community members; it addresses all types of zoning and housing issues that affect the neighborhood including, but not limited to, construction, heritage preservation, teardowns, land use, city statutes, and ongoing concerns of neighbors living in both single and multiplex residences.
When we meet:
The Zoning Committee meets the third Monday of each month at Linden Hills Recreation Center, 3100 W. 43rd St. If you would like to appear before the committee, your request and related materials must be submitted to the Coordinator by the Wednesday prior to the meeting (Please see “How to Request a Variance Review” below).
Who we are:
The Committee consists of volunteer residents who do not work for the City and do not claim to be experts regarding the Minneapolis Zoning Code. All Linden Hills residents are encouraged to attend and participate.
Committee Chair: Walter Pitt
Committee Members: Ed Bell, Steve Birch, Eric Hansen, Tom Harlan, Ryan Johnson, Constance Pepin, Wendy Ponte, Patrick Sarver, Steve Schaefer
Below you will find information regarding:
- How to Request a Variance Review
- Zoning Resources – including Good Faith Notification form, zoning maps, overlay districts, etc.
- Zoning Committee Minutes
- Neighborhood Variance Requests & Construction Projects
You have submitted a zoning variance application to The City of Minneapolis Zoning and Planning Dept., and you have been told to contact the Linden Hills Neighborhood Council (LHiNC) to discuss your variance.
1. Notify LHiNC of your project and confirm the date when you will present your project to the committee:
- Send an email to the LHiNC Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include the following information in the initial message:
- Contact information including name(s), phone number, and e-mail address(es)
- The property address requiring the variance
- A written narrative description of the project. Please include the existing property zoning classification
- Detailed list of the issues that will require the rezone, variance or conditional use
- Explain the unique circumstances for which the variance is sought
- Your city planner’s name, e-mail and telephone number
- The LHiNC Zoning Committee meeting that you plan to attend
- Your subsequent Board of Adjustment hearing date
- The Coordinator will return your message and confirm your attendance at a future Zoning Committee meeting.
2. Prepare to present your request to the Zoning Committee:
- Create a Good Faith Notification (GFN) to provide proof that your neighbors were notified of the meeting that you will attend. You can download our GFN template here.
- It is your responsibility to get the signatures of all adjacent property owners prior to attending the zoning meeting.
- Prepare drawings and documentation to support your variance request and send them electronically in .pdf format to email@example.com at least 5 calendar days prior to the meeting. Bring any other appropriate materials to the meeting expecting to present to the committee of 6 members.
- The following documentation will help the committee review your project and make a recommendation to the city:
- A detailed site plan showing the existing and proposed development in context with the adjoining houses on the block or other structures. This item is critical.
- Preliminary building drawings including floor plans and elevations (bring half size or 11″ x 17″ to the meeting)
- Elevations and/or perspective drawings depicting the completed project and how it relates to the adjoining structures in height and bulk
- Photographs of the existing building and the adjoining structures
- Aerial photos of the site (Google map, for example)
3. Present your request to the Zoning Committee:
- At the meeting you will have an opportunity to present your project, submit your Good Faith Notification Form and address the three variance criteria listed in the zoning code.
- The committee will vote to Oppose or Not Oppose the project.
- Your city planner will be notified of the results.
- On occasion, with large or controversial projects, the Zoning Committee may recommend the project appear before the LHiNC board (they meet the first Tuesday of the month).
- The Board of Adjustment will make the final decision on your variance request. It may or may not conform with the neighborhood’s recommendation. The BOA does invite individuals supporting and opposing the variance request to submit written and/or verbal testimony.
Who should I contact with more questions about the process? You can contact LHiNC’s Coordinator at 612-926-2906 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the three criteria that I will need to speak to at the LHiNC Zoning Committee meeting?
- Practical difficulties exist in complying with the ordinance because of circumstances unique to the property. The unique circumstances were not created by persons presently having an interest in the property and are not based on economic considerations alone.
- The property owner or authorized applicant proposes to use the property in a reasonable manner that will be in keeping with the spirit and intent of the ordinance and the comprehensive plan.
- The proposed variance will not alter the essential character of the locality or be injurious to the use or enjoyment of other property in the vicinity. If granted, the proposed variance will not be detrimental to the health, safety, or welfare of the general public or of those utilizing the property or nearby properties.
Who decides to grant or deny a variance?
The Board of Adjustment, a board of residents appointed by the Mayor and City Council, votes to approve or deny your application after a public hearing. How does the board decide? At the public hearing, the Board hears from all interested parties – the applicant, supporters and/or opponents (if any), and City staff who submit a report which recommends approval or denial. The staff report and the Board’s decisions on variance requests are based on meeting all three findings. If one finding is not met, the variance is not approved. All three must be met.
How do I prove practical difficulties?
In your application, there is a section entitled, “Required Findings.” The three points in this section outline the basis City staff uses to determine if practical difficulties exist and how the variance will affect the surrounding community. You have the burden of proving that the variance is justified.
January – no variance applications
May – no meeting
July 9 Informational Linden Crossing Meeting
August 6 Special Meeting re: Linden Crossing / ZC Letter re Linden Crossing
No October Meeting
No December Meeting
|Address||Request||LHiNC Zoning Committee||City of Minneapolis|
|2620 W. 44th||Demolition of Historic Resource Application – Brenda Ueland House.||N/A||Mar 16 Zoning & Planning approved developer’s appeal/will allow demolition.
DENIAL APPEALED by developer. Heritage Planning Commission denied application on Feb 14.
|3006 W. 40th||Tear-down of existing home. Lot split application, and related variances, for two new construction dwellings. Elevation Homes.||Jan 2017. Support for lot split variances.||DENIAL APPEALED by neighbors: Public Hearing at Zoning & Planning, Mar 16, 9:30 a.m. City Planning Commission approved lot split variances, Feb 8, 2017.|
|3240 W. 40th||Demolition of existing home. New home construction. No variances needed. Demolition scheduled 3/27/17. Dream Homes, Wayzata, MN.||N/A||N/A|
|3600 Zenith||Tear-down of existing duplex. Variances needed for new construction to increase FAR, increase maximum roof height. Elevation Homes.||Feb 13 2017. Support for lot split variances.||Feb 16 Board of Adjustment voted to allow variances.|
|3621 Abbott||Demolition of existing home. New home construction. Construction begins early 2017.||N/A||N/A|
|4131 Vincent||Demolition of existing home. New home construction. No variances needed. Construction to begin October, 2016. Elevation Homes.||N/A||N/A|
|4541 Beard Ave S||Variances needed to allow retaining wall that does not conform to natural grade; variance to reduce north interior side yard; variance to reduce required rear yard.||Monday, February 15. 7pm at Linden Hills Park||3/3/16 4:30pm Board of Adjustment, City Hall, Room 317|
|4641 Drew Ave S||Demolition of existing home. New home construction. No variances needed.||N/A||N/A|
|4447 Upton Ave S||New home construction. Grade decreases 10′ from front to back of lot, necessitating basement square footage to be included in FAR calc. Variance sought to increase FAR over 2,500.||Oct. 19. Committee voted 6-0 to Not Oppose the variance to increase FAR.||11/19/15 4:30pm Board of Adjustment, City Hall, Room 317|
|4309 Ewing Ave S||2-story addition proposed to rear of house. Variance requested to reduce side yard setback from 7′ to 5.2′||Oct. 19. Committee voted 6-0 to Not Oppose the variance to reduce side yard setback.||11/5/15 4:30pm Board of Adjustment, City Hall, Room 317|
|4316 Ewing Ave S||8/17/15 4:30pm Board of Adjustment, City Hall, Room 317|
|4006 Abbott Ave S||8/17/15 4:30pm Board of Adjustment, City Hall, Room 317|
|43rd & Upton (4264 Upton Ave S)||4-story, mixed-use apartment building with commercial on floor 1. CUP to increase height from 42′ to 53’8″ and variances to reduce side yard setback area. View complete application.||May 18. Committee voted 18 to 3 to Oppose the project including the CUP for additional height.||8/17/15 4:30pm City Planning Commission, City Hall, Room 317|
|4043 Abbott||Demolition permit issued 7/15. New home construction. No variances||N/A||N/A|
|3748 W. Calhoun Pkwy||Variances approved 2013 are null & void due to removal of protected trees on the property. Reapplying for variances.||N/A||8/13/15 4:30pm Board of Adjustment, City Hall, Room 317|
|3750 W. Calhoun Pkwy||New construction needs variances to reduce front yard setback, interior side yard setback, develop within steep slope in Shoreland Overlay District, setbacks.||7-0 to Not Oppose variances||7/30/15 4:30pm Board of Adjustment, City Hall, Room 317|
|4036 Queen||Demo of attached garage / construction of detached garage + mudroom.||N/A||Approved w/ conditions|
|4337 Ewing||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances. Summer 2015.||N/A||N/A|
|44th & Upton (S. Upton Bldg)||Demolition of duplex/surface parking, construction of 3-story retail/office bldg. (CPC Agenda and staff reports) – PROJECT ON HOLD AS OF SUMMER, 2016||2/16 public meeting, 3/3 review||Approved by City Council 4/17/15|
|4106 Vincent||Variances for new detached garage, retaining wall. (Plans)||6-0 to Not Oppose variances||3/6/15 4:30pm Board of Adjustment, City Hall, Room 317|
|3811 Sheridan/3810-26 W. Calhoun Pkwy||Application for minor subdivision – demolition of adjacent structure. (CPC Agenda and staff report)||6-0 to Not Oppose minor subdivision application||3/16/15 4:30 City Planning Commission|
|4146 Zenith||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances.||N/A||N/A|
|4452 Zenith||Second story addition to home on reverse corner lot. Variance requested to reduce corner side yard setback.||11/17/14 Vote to Not Oppose the side yard setback.||TBD|
|3933-35 Thomas||Duplex currently on the lots to be torn down. Plans contemplate a new single family home to be built on each lot. Variances required to reduce minimum lot width and overall lot area.||11/17/14 Vote to Not Oppose the variances to reduce minimum lot width and overall lot area.||12/11/14 4:30 pm City Hall Rm 317|
|3940 Thomas||New home construction on new lot. Project plans.||9/15/14|
|4515 Abbott||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances. Project info.||N/A||N/A|
|4045 Upton||Second story addition to be added to existing home, new detached garage. Side yard and front yard setbacks requested.||N/A||9/11/14 4:30 pm City Hall Rm 317|
|4312 Beard||Tear down of existing home. New home construction. FAR variance needed.||3/16/15 Linden Hills Park 7pm||4/9/15 Variance Approved|
|3901 Abbott||New, two-story home to be constructed. Floor Area Ratio variance requested. Project info.||7/21/14 7-0 vote to Not Oppose.||8/21/14 4:30 pm City Hall Rm 317|
|4206 Zenith||Second story addition to current home. Front yard setback variance requested. Project info.||7/21/14 7-0 vote to Not Oppose.||7/24/14 4:30 pm City Hall Rm 317|
|Linden Corner/4250-64 Upton||CUP to increase height to 4 stories, variances to reduce side yard setbacks, site plan review to allow new, mixed-use bldg w/ 20 du’s and 6,144 squ ft of commercial space.||Zoning Committee voted 5 to 1 w/ 1 abstention to Oppose the CUP and related variances. The LHiNC Board voted 7 to 2 to Not Oppose the CUP and related variances.||8/15/14 Mpls City Council voted unanimously to approve the Linden Crossing application.|
|4549 York||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances||N/A|
|4206 Zenith||Addition and remodel to existing home. Front yard setback variance requested.||7/21/14 7:00 p.m. at Linden Hills Park|
|3900 Vincent||New home construction. Variances requested to reduce side yard setback, front yard setback, and side corner yard setback areas.||7/24/14 4:30 pm City Hall Rm 317|
|2415 W. 42nd St||Front yard setback variance for a new trellis, reduction of minimum distance between dwelling and garage.||4/21/14 9-0 vote to Not Oppose variances.||5/1/14 4:30 pm City Hall Rm 317|
|4519 Chowen Ave||Tear down of existing home. New construction to begin around May 15, 2014. No variances.||N/A|
|2612 W. 45th St||Front yard setback variance along Thomas Ave. to allow for two additions, totaling 96 square feet.||N/A||4/17/14 4:30pm City Hall Rm 317|
|3509 W. 44th St. (SW Motors)||Side yard setback variance to level a sloping driveway for use as a patio with egress.||3/17/14 7-0 vote to Not Oppose variance.|
|4533 Abbott Ave S.||Side yard setback variance to accommodate opening north side 2nd floor dormers.||3/17/14 7:00 pm at Linden Hills Park||Public Hearing on 3/20/14 – 4:30 pm City Hall Rm 317.|
|4255-59 Sheridan Ave S.||Tear down of existing homes. New construction of 3-unit condo building. Variances for front and side yard setbacks and CUP for Shoreland Overlay District height restriction. Click here to view the project plans.||2/17/14 7-0 vote to Not Oppose variances and CUP.||Public Hearing on 3/24/14 – 4:30 pm. in Room 317 City Hall.|
|3905/07 Vincent Ave||Proposed lot split. Variances to reduce minimum lot area and minimum lot width of resulting two lots.||2/17/14 7-0 vote to Not Oppose variances to reduce min. lot width and min. lot area.||Public Hearing 4/3/14 4:30 pm Room 317 City Hall.|
|2722 W. 47th St||Tear down of existing home. New construction requires side/front yard setback variances.||2/17/14 7-0 vote to Not Oppose variances for front/side yard setbacks.||Public Hearing on 3/20/14 – 4:30 pm. in Room 317 City Hall.|
|3821 Washburn Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances required. Demolition to begin 2014.||N/A||N/A|
|4005 Chowen Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances required. Demolition to begin 2014.||N/A||N/A|
|3520 W. 46th St||Front yard setback variance too allow for 2nd floor addition. No change to footprint of house.||1/20/14 6-0 vote to Not Oppose||Public Hearing on 1/24/14 – 4:30 pm. in Room 317 City Hall.|
|3837 Xerxes Ave S||Lot split variance requested. Developer will tear down existing home and build two homes.||1/20/14 6-0 vote to Not Oppose, w/ the provision that developer work w/ city staff & neighbors to provide on-site water retention to comply w/ city water runoff requirements from developer’s lots.||Public Hearing on 1/24/14 – 4:30 pm. in Room 317 City Hall.|
|4329 Ewing Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances required. Demolition to begin 2014.||N/A|
|4337 Chowen Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances required. Demolition to begin 2014.||N/A|
|4255/57/59 Sheridan proposal||Tear down of existing homes. New construction of 3-condo building. Variances required for front yard setback and Shoreland Overlay District height restriction. Click here to view the project plans.||2/17/14|
|4316 Drew Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances required. Demolition to begin December 2013.||N/A|
|46th & France proposed development||Revised plans require R5 rezoning and variances for front yard set back and alley “parking manueverability.”Click here to read more about this issue.||10/21/13: 4-2 to not oppose.11/12/13 LHiNC Board: By majority vote to not oppose rezoning & variances.||12/2 Planning Commission voted to approve the rezoning and variances.|
|4116 Queen Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. Front yard setback variance required. Construction to begin November 2013.||9/23/13: Not opposed||Public Hearing on 9/26/13-4:30pm in Room 317 City Hall|
|4644 Drew Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances required. Construction to begin August 2013.|
|4272 Queen Ave S||Front setback variance.||7/15/13: Not opposed||Public Hearing on 7/25/13- 4:30 pm. in Room 317 City Hall.|
|4507 Drew Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances required. Construction to begin July 2013.|
|2700 W. 43rd St||Setback variance to allow new home to be built on the same footprint as existing condemned home.||6/17/13: Not opposed||Public Hearing on 7/11/13- 4:30 pm. in Room 317 City Hall.|
|3748 W. Calhoun Pkwy||Front setback, steep slope and FAR variances.||5/20: 4-2 vote to not oppose.||Public Hearing on 6/4/13- 4:30 pm. in Room 317 City Hall.|
|3821 Xerxes Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances required. Construction to begin May 2013.|
|46th & France proposed development||Rezone request.||5/20: 4-2 vote to not oppose.||TBD|
|4505 Beard Ave S||Tear down of existing home. New construction. No variances required. Construction to begin May 2013.||5/20: 4-2 vote to not oppose.||TBD|
|4031 Queen Ave S||Steep slope variance.||4/15/13:Not opposed|
|3835 Thomas Ave S||Garage setback variance.||4/15/13: Not opposed|
|4151 Vincent Ave S||Garage setback variance||3/18/13:Not opposed|